[mythtv-users] Random recording failure

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 12 17:52:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, 12 May 2014 09:20:18 -0700, you wrote:

>I've been seeing a random event where a scheduled recording will start
>on time and show in Upcoming Recordings as Currently Recording, but no
>recording is actually created. Also, it will remain as Currently
>Recording until the BE is stopped and restarted. The BE is 0.27-fixes on
>Mythbuntu 12.04. Here is what appears to be a relevant segment of the log:

[snip]

>The program in question was Guy's Grocery Games, it was assigned to be
>recorded on tuner CAEA-0. The recording did not exist despite the log
>entry to the contrary. It had been deleted with permission to rerecord.
>
>Failures like this are not frequent but they do tend to occur with shows
>that cause wife to become upset(Murphy's Law). Is there something I can
>do to get rid of this problem?

Looking at that log segment, it says that the recording that failed
was "Bible Secrets Revealed":"The Promised Land", not "Guy's Grocery
Games".  The transmission of the program appears to be encrypted
("DTVSigMon[1](1311CAB1-0): PMT says program 308 is encrypted"), and
as a result no data was received from the tuner to be stored to disk.
That caused a "damaged" message at the end of the recording, saying
there was a huge gap in the recording (in fact a gap the same length
as the recording length).

This pattern of messages is what I see on my system if I do not have
my satellite decryption daemon running for some reason and try to
record from one of the encrypted channels.  So is it possible that
some programs on that channel are encrypted for some reason?