[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Bryan Anderson shadow431 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 14:53:26 UTC 2014

I use MythTV daily and LOVE it.  I have tried XMBC and didn't really like
it, and even when I was on 0.25 the FE plugin never worked.  I am not
typically one for form over function.

My Setup:
 Ubuntu box running Back End
 Ubuntu box running Front End (had been Debian, read next)
 Fedora box running Front End (had been tell I let 0.27 slip though on an
update on the BE)

I use my phone as a remote.  Works well no lag and all the buttons I could
want.  Only complaint is I have to SSH with port forward to my FE since I
can't get it to listen on the nic instead of the loopback (although that
may just be me)

I record shows and watch them.   The scheduling setup is the best I have
ever seen and it has never skipped a beat. I also have some videos, and
DVDs I watch with it.

With this said what  I would like to see:

While there are people that say the pi sucks all evidence I have seen on
the MythTV site was from v1 of the pi.  Nothing since v2 was released.  The
hardware Decoder license was probably a requirement due to the codec not
the manufactures of the pi. A pi front end to watch recordings would be
great.

If I am watching TV and that same Channel starts to record it would be nice
if it didn't need an additional tuner.  (not a problem, just pesky)

On Comcast the music channels lock up my FE

The only channel I can't get with Comcast that I would love is NASA TV.
 They have an online stream and I followed existing instructions to add the
stream to my channel line up and it didn't work.  This is something I would
love to see work, and be able to record since guide listings are available.
(
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder)
If I want to watch you tube I will go there in a web browse, after all I am
on a computer. *now that I think about it don't believe I have tried since
upgrading to 0.27*

(I really can't believe I am going to admit this) I have a single Windows 7
machine, and would enjoying being able to use the FE on it.

With that said I have used many open source projects and of them all this
is one that I can say has never let me down on my core use of it.
 Recording TV and watching it later.  I am for function over form.  I don't
need flashy from the UI to get to my content, I just want my content and I
want it now.  The developers have done a fantastic job of making the
software and am glad to be able to make use of it.  I am just now starting
to get together the requirements to compile the source and hope to
eventually be able to contribute back to such a wonderful piece of software.

Bryan

-Bryan Anderson