[mythtv-users] Playback On Intel

Greg Thompson gthompson20 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:21:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 7:19 AM, David Edwards <david at more.fool.me.uk>wrote:

> On 12 May 2014 02:04, Andrew Leech <coronasensei at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do have occasional minor tearing on horizontal pans
>
> I haven't noticed any tearing in Mythfrontend on Mythbuntu 14.04.
>
> I did get some in XBMC, which I fixed by adding:
>
> xserver-command=X -bs
>
> to disable the backing store as per advice in the XBMC forums. For the
> record, they say don't  add Option "TearFree" "true" to xorg.conf,
> which I had previously used to fix tearing in Mythfrontend in
> previousl version of Mythbuntu.
>
> > Never noticed any visual artifacts from decoding.
>
> I will try and post a sample that demonstrates the issue.
>
> > I'm using OpenGL High Quality rendering, I found it to be more stable
> than
> > vaapi in the past
>
> Yes, me too. It seems a lot better in 14.04, other problems
> notwithstanding.
>
> > The biggest difference though is I'm using xorg-edgers drivers
> > Might be worth a try for you too.
>
> I will try that and report back.
>
> Thanks,

Cédric Schieli submitted a patch that fixes VAAPI on Myth... See here:
 "This was definitely a Myth issue. A simple fix has been submited
(#12140). My Baytrail FE is now rock solid while hardware decoding MPEG2
and H.264 media (50% cpu usage instead of 90% before)."

I can confirm that the Patch does stop the segfaults... However I like the
De-Interlacing MUCH better in OpenGL High Quality than VAAPI.

Greg