[mythtv-users] mythtv v thheadend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun May 11 21:38:50 UTC 2014

On 5/10/2014 12:56 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> After testing mediaportal, nextpvr, tvheadend. I must say that mythtv is
> clear winner. Mythtv has great scheduling, and great support for
> hdhomerun prime.
> I saw a post that mythtv web based backend in in planning stages.
> I wonder how hard would be to port tvheadend web to mythtv ?

The only change that is planned is to make the backend configuration
web-based, as opposed to requiring a separate application. The only time
this would make any difference would be adding/removing tuner cards,
adding/removing storage, or scanning for channels. In order to
accomplish this, the backend must be designed to run in an unconfigured
state, and those mechanics must be moved from mythtv-setup to
mythbackend and exposed through some external interface. Neither of
these tasks are something that can be "ported". All that leaves is the
web GUI itself, which all told isn't a great deal of work compared to
the other parts, and isn't worth doing anything but taking some design
cues before writing a new one from scratch.