[mythtv-users] modernizing mythtv - and now OT

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 11 17:49:06 UTC 2014

On 05/10/2014 10:56 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Sunday, May 11, 2014, 4:16:24 AM, you wrote:
>>> I have completely headless BE, I upgrade the kernels and run setup
>>> remotely no problem. No X installed.
>> What resources are wasted? Do you understand how unix systems, swap
>> and LRU (least recently used) work?
>> The only waste is some disk space, and at the price of disks, some
>> $0.02 for once-upon-a-time great convenience.
>> You may do server-without-X for all manor of reasons, as you will,
>> but don’t sprout waste-of-resources as the justification!
> First Why are you starting a new threat by changing the subject!!!
> Secondly X takes up resources, both memory and processor!

The point is, running mythbackend does not require running an X server.
Even using mythtv-setup on the backend system does not require running
an X server on the backend system (using X forwarding, with or without
ssh, to display mythtv-setup on a system--such as any mythfronend
system--that does have an X server running).

And, if you're not running an X server on the backend system, X is not
taking up either memory or processor resources.  So, the only resource
that's "wasted" by MythTV's reliance upon the Qt C++ development
framework (which requires X libraries) is hard drive space required for
the X libraries--which is a tiny pittance of space (approximately
10MB)--especially when compared to the ~1GB required for the Qt
libraries themselves.

Note, too, that I recently bought a 3TB HDD for $99.99.  At that price,
those 10MB of space used by installing the X libraries cost me
approximately $0.00035 (and the 1GB of Qt cost me $0.035).  I'd argue
that's not wasting too much.

Mike