[mythtv-users] modernizing mythtv

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat May 10 18:40:04 UTC 2014

On 10.05.2014 17:56, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> To come back to a more fundamental issue. No server/backend application
> should depend on a graphical environment other then WEB. Running X for
> those is a wast of resources. That is one of the main reasons I find
> Windows unsuited for server applications. On my server running
> mythbackend among others I have only the most basic graphical card
> present, so I can if needed watch the boot process and implement new
> kernels. The only reason X is even installed is Mythsetup, which I
> only start at need. The rest I manage by ssh or more and more the web.
> Originally a lot of people were running both back and frontend on the
> same machine, but nowadays more and more people are splitting this up.
> So I see mythsetup as an archaic inheritance of old times, that should be
> replaced by a more modern web interface.

What you say doesn't make sense to me. There is not much difference
between "the web" and "the X"... Both allow to run a remote user
interface for an application on a server. (be it big old host iron, or
fancy new cloud stuff)

No one will be expecting you to add a graphics adapter, display,
keyboard and mouse to your backend just so you can run a web browser to
use with the new web setup.

The same is true for the setup we have now. No one expects you to add a
graphics adapter, display, keyboard and mouse to your backend just so
you can run a local X server and access mythtvsetup.

browser -> (maybe network) -> web server -> MythTV setup
X server -> (maybe network) -> X client libs -> MythTV setup

Regards,
Karl