[mythtv-users] modernizing mythtv

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:28:32 UTC 2014

Hoi Saul,

Saturday, May 10, 2014, 7:53:54 PM, you wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2014 18:58:06 +0200
> Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hoi Saul,
>>
>> Saturday, May 10, 2014, 6:50:37 PM, you wrote:

>> > I have completely headless BE, I upgrade the kernels and run setup
>> > remotely no problem. No X installed.
>>
>> You're sure you don't have a 'hidden' X-server running on your
>> backend to facilitate? Anyway a X application will use more bandwidth
>> on the network, since it is not optimised that way.
>> If not, can you quote the commands you use to start mythsetup
>> remotely. I'm interested.

> Yes I'm very sure there is no X in my backend, I'm running Gentoo.
> Alright, first I make sure my desktop X is accepting incoming
> connections (it is not default in Gentoo). So I created ~/.xserverrc
> with 'exec /usr/bin/X' in it. This will override default X start string.
> Then I enabled incoming connections from my backend which is mythtv by
> issuing 'xhost mythtv'. Then I log into backend using SSH and issue
> 'DISPLAY=zeus:0.0 mythtv-setup' (obviously zeus is my desktop). That's
> it. If your hostnames are not resolved in any way you may use IP
> addresses instead.

How does ~/.xserverrc interact with your windowmanager or does this
play before that gets started? I'm still running gnome2 (took me quit
some time to get the right masks in place, but no way ever am I using
systemd) and in time when I have found the right alternative I'll go
over to that.
Also does ~/.xserverrc need more then just 'exec /usr/bin/X'?

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop