[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Sat May 10 16:05:24 UTC 2014

On Saturday, 10 May 2014, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:

> On 10/05/14 02:20, Sam Jacobs wrote:
>
>> BSkyB customers would think that—Sky have now even put the search bar
>> itself right on the home screen, and guess how you enter text into it…
>> Mobile phones that still have number buttons still use the method, though.
>> Phones that don’t use the method don’t have the number keys. Imagine how
>> UTTERLY STUPID the designers of a phone would have to have been, if that
>> phone had alpha labels but forced you to use the directional buttons to
>> enter text! Tell me that would not have frustrated the hell out of you.
>>

> I have a Sky HD box and must admit the search does work well.
>
> What you have got to remember though is we have international users so
> accented characters would have to be catered for.

I was reading a while ago about a Unicode feature, I think it was called
something like lexical equivalence, that I think would be useful here. The
effect of it in this context is that a bare e might also match è, é, ê and
so on. I'll try to find it all again.

Some people use remotes, some use keyboards. Making things work in a
> satisfactory way for everyone can make things more difficult than it first
> appears. That's not to say it can't be done and I'm sure you will come up
> with inventive ways to keep everyone happy.

I think that a “How will you interact with this frontend?” question in the
wizard would be useful here, although I expect I would need to make a very
strong case—and only rightly so, in my opinion—for adding something to the
wizard, of all places.

If you take the time to add the suggestion to the forum (
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewforum.php?f=9) so your ideas doesn't get
> lost I would be grateful :)

Will do :) Thanks Paul

Sam

--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.27, UK Freeview SD & Freesat HD, EIT-only EPG
Mac mini, MBE+FE: OS X Mavericks, bundled FE, macports BE