[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri May 9 07:16:43 UTC 2014

I think Raspberry Pi, despite being underpowered on the CPU (but
certainly not the GPU) has brought more people to the media PC world
than any other single device. It is cheap and it produces great video
playback. It supports HDMI-CEC. The tweaks in the last year or so have
vastly improved the GUI (largely CPU driven) experience too. Instead
of saying "Rpi is an underpowered piece of cr*p" I think the mantra is
"It's amazing what code optimisation can do on a computer that many
think is too underpowered for the job".

But none of that has been due to mythtv, it is all down to XBMC.

Now Amazon FireTV is doing it for even more people. A $100 media
player with remote that runs android and was running XBMC smoothly
almost straight after release.

I know mythtv isn't all about world domination, but it'd certainly get
more traction if it ran on more platforms, and didn't have a
reputation for being so difficult to set up.

Hell if you are prepared to run TVHeadend instead of mythtv, you can
run a DVR system entirely on a Pi with a USB tuner and an external
hard drive.

Don't get me wrong, I love mythtv, but I love XBMC too!