[mythtv-users] [WIP] New themes: Barry & Anita

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Fri May 9 01:52:34 UTC 2014

On Thursday, 8 May 2014, Scott Chevalley <avalon at osguru.org> wrote:

> I tried the Anita theme and it looks pretty good.  I have a suggestion and
> question.
> First the question.  How do I get the images next to each recording to be
> a banner rather
> than a stretched icon for the show?  I look at the screenshots you have
> and the images
> look okay but on mine they are obviously square images stretch to fit the
> wide box.

Gosh, I've clearly been using my mythpreviewgen hack for so long that I'd
forgotten about it!

What you're seeing is a frame from the recorded programme—you can see the
image displayed correctly by switching to the Terra theme. It's called the
preview image, and you'll notice that if you play the recording, set the
bookmark, then quit playback, it will be updated to show the frame at the
point in the recording where you set the bookmark.

The problem is that MythFrontend doesn't currently support using any of
the other images (banner, coverart, fanart) inside of the recordings list.
Those three other images are metadata images, and were added to MythTV
relatively recently, whereas the preview image I think has been around at
least since I first started using MythTV the best part of 10 years ago.

But I wanted it in the list, and since I don't know C++, but *can* write
butt ugly, hacky Bash scripts, I moved mythpreviewgen aside and put a shell
script in its place that uses the MySQL command line client and imagemagick
to find the correct series banner and place a PNG version of it where Myth
expects to find the preview image.

I really, *really* must go to bed now (it's nearly 3 am here!) but later on
today I'll put the script up somewhere. It's been working fine for me for
the last couple of months now.

And for a suggestion I think the main menu screen should be a grid of boxes
> like when go
> under the More menu.

Ugh, what is this, international agree with my other half week? :P

Otherwise it looks very promising.

Thanks very much :)

Sam

Thanks,

--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.27, UK Freeview SD & Freesat HD, EIT-only EPG
Mac mini, MBE+FE: OS X Mavericks, bundled FE, macports BE