[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Thu May 8 18:17:54 UTC 2014

On 08/05/14 11:54, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 8 May 2014 15:15, Shawn King <slackerlinux85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> also forgot to add in regards to multiple matches for video metadata it
>> would be nice to show the filename your matching to(looked into adding that
>> but looks like that wouldn't be easy with the current code? it can be
>> difficult when your adding multiple files some remakes to the database and
>> guessing which ones correct) also would be nice if more themes added the
>> year field to the results list i didnt know that was even possible till i
>> looked into adding that and found its already in and used by the terra theme
> Lots of ideas here...
>
> I agree with that one, and with many of the one listed earlier...
>
> Metadata does suck on mythtv, and so does the interface to retrieve them...
> It does need a complete overall and I have to say that the current
> code handling metadata is a total mess. It received a lot of attention
> for 0.27 and remove all the bugs in it, but it was still just putting
> lipstick on a bulldog.
>
> IMHO, when you do a scan all, there's no point prompting the user to
> choose which metadata match best over and over. Better fill all the
> videos where there's no ambiguity and don't prompt the user. Sometimes
> I find myself pressing ESC over and over simply because I :1- don't
> know which video it's referring to, as the title found is very remote
> to the original, 2-if it can't find it now, i can't be bothered to
> spend time doing it now.
> My typical scenario for doing scan all is that I've just added videos
> and i want to watch them now. So I don't care about videos that were
> added long ago and it needs some help.
>
> Instead, I would prefer to have a dedicated screen, with all the
> videos for which no metadata were retrieved, so I can, when I have
> time, easily go and work on those.
>
> i also would like to have an option for the file to be renamed
> automatically so it's nice and tidy. However this is borderline of
> mythtv fair use policy as we all know what this feature would be for
> and some myth dev are religiously against it (i'm not)
>
> In the mythtv vs xbmc thread, I'd like people to read the xbmc
> announcement for 13.0 that just got released:
> http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-rises/
>
> and look at the features that are now finally supported in xbmc that
> have been available for years in myth. In this regards, it's pretty
> fair to say that while myth lack the bell and whistle of xbmc,
> feature-wise myth is really not that backward. Quite the opposite and
> is still at the forefront technology-wise
>

> Having said that, it would be a shame to forget some of the
> suggestions mentioned in the past few days here.
> To make sure they aren't lost.
> Please open a mythtv ticket (code.mythtv.org), and assign them to me
> (jyavenard). Some frown upon the "request without patch" thing... I
> don't.

There is also the "Wishlist" forum
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewforum.php?f=9
which would be a better place to put your feature requests.

It would also help if others would vote for a particular feature by
adding a comment
so we know what features would be most welcome.

Just to be clear at this time I would rather improve MythTV rather than
abandon it and
move to XBMC :)