[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu May 8 17:42:59 UTC 2014

I'm a bit bemused at this idea that RPi can't use "commonly available
consumer video formats"....

IMO, there are only a few that matter..

HD: h264, MPEG2, VC-1
SD: MPEG2, Xvid

A few minor variants, but really, how many do you use?

The Pi doesn't do MPEG2/VC-1 out of the box, you need a CODEC license for
about $5 to do it. h264 is near flawless. CPU decode for XVid works fine at
SD resolution, which is all I have in that format anyway. I can play
1080p at 30Mbps BD rips fine. I did need to OC for software AC3/DTS conversion
to stereo, but that might be solved now. UI is a bit slower than the old FE
machines I used to use. But those needed massive heatsinks and/or fans to
work at all. The Pi is silent, cheap, and easy to set up.

The UI is slower than the bigger boxes I used to run, but it's still
perfectly usable. Even with all shows and metadata on the network, over the
somewhat slow 100M ethernet link.

The only complaint I have is that recorded TV from my HDHR isn't quite as
high quality, due to deinterlacers not being as good. It's acceptable
though, and anything I want to keep I just run through a transcoder to do
more accurate deinterlacing anyway. Channels that use 720p rather than
1080i are great though.

And I can bring another TV into the system for ~$50 (RPi, case, PSU, IR
receiver). It can't run MythFE, but most of our needs are covered by XBMC.
I use MythBE for recording, and MythicalLibrarian to export recordings over
to the XBMC shares along with metadata, so they act just like archived
shows. I do recording rules via MythWeb, and I don't do LiveTV, but there
are ways to do that if I wanted to. I set it up on an older configuration,
but we ended up not using it, so I didn't bother when I upgraded everything
a while back.

It also has a few really nice Android remote control apps, and a full blown
XBMC app. By copying a few files from one of the Pi devices, the Android
version even accesses the shared database, metadata, etc..