[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Thu May 8 15:21:59 UTC 2014

On 5/8/2014 9:17 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-08 at 09:08 -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
>> Is commercial skipping now supported on the XBMC MythTV plugin?
>
> It is, but it's either none or automatic.  No option to just have keys
> which skip using the commercial break information.

That's a serious knock in my book.  Skipping in general seems better on
Mythfrontend.  I was testing the new Gotham last night on my combined
FE/BE with local storage.  Skipping back and forth (+/- 30s) in a
recording is just much quicker and more seamless with Myth than XBMC,
which often seemed to pause and struggle to figure out where it was.
Maybe this is a local-only advantage, but it alone would keep me from
using XBMC daily on my main machine.  Live TV channel changes are also
much quicker and smoother in Myth.

Another dealbreaker is the lack (I think) of timestretch in XBMC.

XBMC can probably do these two things, but I have buttons on my remote
dedicated to bringing up the guide in Live TV, and also for cycling
through the zoom options, both of which are very also important to me.

As far as eye candy and metadata and things like that, XBMC may do it
better, but it's not that important to me.  Vertical lists of
titles/filenames is good enough for me, and in fact animations or
anything else that reduce the speed and responsiveness of the UI are
negatives in my book.

I like that recorded programs are separate from long-term media.

That being said, I do use XBMC for a few things.  I use the MLB.tv
plugin often to view highlights, and have considered buying the package
to watch games.  (I even contributed a different game highlight section
to the plugin, since it's just a self-contained Python script in a zip
file.  My impression is that the startup cost for a Myth plugin is much
greater.)  There are some other video plugins I use as well.  I also
prefer XBMC for playing music, and usually check the weather app while
I'm in there just because I never set up Myth's.  I'm not sure I prefer
either for pictures, but one problem with XBMC that I think Myth handles
is that Myth will play videos that are mixed in with pictures, something
fairly common for me since my digital camera does both.

I do think the ability for XBMC to run on cheap Android devices is a
real advantage.  The main issue right now is the lack of mpeg2 HD
hardware decoding (or enough oomph for software decoding) on a lot of
those devices, but for the ones that do support it they can be a great
solution.  For example, my father's house has 7 TVs that now need STBs
due to Charter's move to encrypted digital.  Outfitting each with a
$200+ PC when some are little used isn't attractive, but neither is
paying $7/month each to rent an STB.  Getting a few cheap TV sticks that
can play TV, whether directly from an HDHR-Prime or a Myth backend, in
addition to supporting Netflix, etc., is an attractive idea.

John