[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Shawn King slackerlinux85 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 00:27:36 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 07:27 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> With all the talk of users preferring to use XBMC my question is simple.
>
> What needs to change to make you want to use MythTV again?
>
> Paul H.
> .

i am also one that prefers mythfrontend.i used xbmc a year or so ago and
although it was nice and mythbackend played well it didn't feel the way
i want my frontend to feel

pros of XBMC that i would love in mythtv:
  * metadata matching - they use multiple regex statements to match all
common naming conventions and also support absolute numbering
  * client customizable(and expandable?) media sources and per source
metadata grabbing
  * sound in menus
  * general eyecandy
  * very simple setup(websetup, embedded DB and getting rid
of/hiding/automating some settings will help in this)
  * widgets and news/info crumbs on front screen

and their codes alot cleaner for the most part too can be quite hard to
look for what you want in myths code

what mythfrontend does well currently
  * the menus - they are nice and simple and make sense
  * video playback - in the last few days i can now play everything i
can throw at mythtv
  * storage groups - best feature ever added
  * recording

what i feel is totally broken in mythfrontend currently
  * media detection - for me myth wont automount usb sticks it expects
mount to be able to be used by a user and defined in fstab also it only
checks the device once so alt tabbing out and mounting it requires you
to restart the frontend to see the device. also after restarting the
frontend it will autoload the gallery plugin but wont play videos you
have to go back to the menu, rego into mythgallery then show all
devices(i wish if there was more then 1 device it would automatically
show all devices). sadly i dont see any type of external medis in the
new gallery. using udisks to mount would help greatly with this its
already used to detect the media also would be nice if this worked
everywhere so like if theres a dvd with movies it would show up like a
separate storage group and be able to be played through mythvideo same
with music on cd/usb in mythmusic
  * some default settings could be better like mythmusic currently has
default audio device as empty resulting in no sound that should really
be set as default
  * smolt - i have never gotten this to work
  * menus - i added this as a pro but at the moment its static would be
nice to have a way to expand it with user defined entries. paired with
this patch(https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12021) it would be a
great improvement

also what happened with the websetup lots of work went into it a few
releases ago and now it seems like no progress at all. and to finish
this wall of text off i think the main thing holding myth back other
then initial setup is user contributions all myth needs is a few themers
hopefully some that know how to code to make some nice themes(and
feature patches) that could compete with the eyecandy of xbmc