[mythtv-users] How to switch tuner card?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed May 7 07:44:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, 07 May 2014 15:59:34 +1000, you wrote:

>On 05/07/14 13:29, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 05/06/2014 10:26 PM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>>> Running 0.27 on up-to-date f19.
>>>
>>> It used to be that one could use the "Y" key so change to other tuners. This does not work
>>> for me (and did not work for a long while now). Maybe I am doing this wrong?
>>>
>>> Using mythweb (or otherwise), what key do I bind to what value to achieve this functionality?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> By default, Y is bound to TV Playback|NEXTSOURCE.  It would only result in changing cards if you had multiple Video Sources and the next source isn't available on the current card (on another input).  This isn't what you want.
>>
>> There's a binding for TV Playback|NEXTINPUT that defaults to C.  It switches to the next input on the current card.  Again, not what you want.
>>
>> However, TV Playback|NEXTCARD, is what you want.  It has no default binding.  To which key you bind the action is up to you--and which keys are already in use on your system and which keys are available on your remote.  You can always just unbind one you don't need (such as Y from TV Playback|NEXTSOURCE) and use it, or come up with one that's not already used on your system.
>>
>> Mike

>Thanks Michael,
>
>NEXTCARD seems to work... mostly.
>
>I have three dual-tuner cards which are:
>	/dev/dvb/adapter{0,1,2,3,4,5}/frontend0
>and which I named in MythTV:
>	0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-1, 2-0, 2-1
>I also assigned "Live TV" priorities to these tuners:
>	1, 2, ... 5, 6
>
>Using the NEXTCARD action only the first four tuners are cycled through:
>	0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-1, [then again] 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, 1-1, [and so on...]
>(never 2-0 or 2-1). If I change the priorities to be
>	0, 0, 3, 4, 5, 6
>I expect that the last four tuners will be used, but no, only cards 1-0 and 1-1
>(the first active pair) are used with repeated NEXTCARD actions.
>
>It seems that this action does not cycle through all the tuners.
>
>Worse still, if I set priorities
>	0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 6
>(making only the last pair available for Live TV) then an attempt to watch
>live TV gives "all tuners are currently busy" when a status check shows
>that all the tuners are idle.
>
>In short, I can never switch to the third card (with the third pair of tuners).
>
>cheers

You can select any multirec tuner from the menu.  M > Source > Switch
Input.  I hacked my database to give each of my multirec tuners an
individual name so it was easy for me to see which one is which.  The
field that gets displayed in that menu is cardinput.displayname.  Any
multirec tuner currently in use will not be displayed in the menu.

Once you are using a multirec tuner for LiveTV, if you change channels
to another channel on the same source, it will continue to use the
same multirec tuner, and will retune to a different frequency using
that tuner if necessary.  If you select a channel from another source,
or another multirec tuner on that physical tuner is running and it
needs to tune to another frequency, it will change automatically to
another tuner using the LiveTV priorities.