[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 7 04:10:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had been using mythtv and xbmc for long time. I used mythtv before using
> xbmc and because notion that mythtv developers dislike xbmc integration is
> not that great. The problem I had run in past was difference in mythtv
> version implementing protocols and not keeping backwards support. Lets say
> if mythtv had higher protocol with more functions  and support clients with
> lower protocol version that would be great but now having clients supporting
> different protocol versions leads to crash of mythbackend. It was paint full
> upgrading from 0.26 to 0.27 because xbmc support for was not ready for 0.27
> and because I had no backup of my database and it was upgraded for 0.27..
> Now it cant upgrade to 0.28 as there is no xbmc support I guess. I wish that
> support for dvb scanning gets update. I wonder how hard would be to port
> mediaportal that seems like mythtv compiled for windows. It has great
> dvb-support as it let you download sat transponders.

The xbmc pvr-cmyth addon source was updated to cover 0.27 pretty soon
after (or perhaps even before) 0.27 was released. It did mean a
compile, or finding someone lese who compiled it and was prepared to
make it available. Certainly it worked on my XBMC 12.2 install on
*buntu 12.04, and I am aware that quite a few people downloaded my
compile which I put online somewhere.

So I imagine that the same will occur when 0.28 is released, the
pvr-cmyth source will be updated to the new protocol, and you'll be
able to use it.

Of course it may be harder if you need to cross compile for ARM, or
compile on windows.