[mythtv-users] Remote frontend won't connect to database

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue May 6 18:29:24 UTC 2014

> On May 6, 2014, at 11:48, Yippee Three-eight <yp_38 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to get my remote frontend to connect to my backend.  I've been trying everything I could find via google, but nothing's worked yet.  I'm running 0.27 on both machines, and both machines are using OpenSUSE 13.1, x86_64.
>
> My backend appears to work fine.  I can use the frontend on the backend box, and mythweb works fine.  My firewall on the backend machine is not blocking any access on the internal network.
>
> When I run "mythfrontend --nologserver" on the frontend machine, this is the output:
> /> mythfrontend --nologserver
> 2014-05-06 11:07:44.283284 E  Unable to connect to database!
> 2014-05-06 11:07:44.283338 E  Driver error was [1/2003]:
> QMYSQL: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.6.2.27' (110)

Did you restart the database server after updating your my.cnf?  Are you able to connect to the database server from the remote frontend machine using the 'mysql' terminal client?

> I can't figure out why I'm getting these lines:
> 2014-05-06 11:07:44.831119 I  MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server: localhost:6543 (try 1 of 1)
> 2014-05-06 11:07:44.831315 E  No address defined for host: localhost
>
> Why is it trying to connect to localhost?

It's a red herring.  If it cannot pick up the primary database, it goes out searching typical candidates for anything to connect to, although it is odd it chose 'localhost' rather than '127.0.0.1'.  It's not relevant to your issue, but is it possible you are running a local database server on the remote frontend?

> Obviously, I'm getting no log files.  I run --nologserver because about 85% of the time, when I don't use that option, the frontend hangs on "adding logging to mythlogserver at TCP:<something>", but that's a different issue.

The log server is just an external application that allows you to log the last few items just before a crash.  If you disable the log server, all the normal logging parameters continue to work exactly the same, only logging to disk is now performed in-process.