[mythtv-users] network card

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:29:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Wayne Roberts
> <wayne at therobertsfamily.eu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am in the process of shopping for my backend, and was wondering what
> > network card you "should" use (speed) ?? Is gigabit going to be fast
> enough
> > or should i push the envelope and go 10 gig?
>
> *Usually*, 1Gb/s networks are sufficient.
>
> You did not state what your services you backend is going to be supporting
> (especially if it will be a "shared" system).  For a BE, how many networked
> tuners, how many active frontends?  A HD stream usually fits in (less than)
> about 20Mb/s, so you could be recording from 10 simultaneous network
> tuners,
> and playing back concurrently to 10 frontends and still be at no more than
> 40%
> network utilization with a gigabit card on a dedicated BE (and likely much
> less,
> since most HD content is not 20Mb/s).  At those rates, your disk subsystem
> would probably need more attention than your network.
>
> As with all else, your mileage will vary.
>
> Years ago, I wanted to justify upgrading from 100-megabit hardware (i.e.
switches) to gigabit.  I set up 4 simultaneous recordings, on 2 dual-tuner
OTA HDHRs, all on different multiplexes, with the highest-bandwidth
broadcasters I could find.  I was not able to saturate the network and get
corrupted recordings.  I had to use other justifications (like, "it just
feels right") to upgrade.

I didn't try playing recordings on all three frontends at the same time as
the 4 recordings, but I think it's safe to say that 1Gb/sec will do for
almost everyone.