[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 5 22:20:21 UTC 2014

Le mardi 6 mai 2014, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> a écrit :

> Are there many MythTV users that use XBMC as a frontend (particularly
> for mythtv content)? I'm trying to gauge interest if I should look
> into doing a XBMC theme and possibly some packages.

I tried XBMC, heck I use XBMC on a jail broken Apple TV and a pi. Both with
mythtv plugin installed.

IMHO, it looks beautiful, it's very high candy.

Usability wise, I don't like it. It takes much longer to find a file. When
navigating the file system, esc make you go back to the main menu rather
than one directory up. You can't go between buttons with my remote using
simply up and down. It all depends on the theme, so need to use 4 direction
buttons.

As far as browsing recording wise, the plugin is a pain, it is slow in
getting the listing..

All to say that mythfrontend, why not as visually impressive as XBMC does
IMHO better the things it does do.
I would love to have the XBMC plugin system on myth. It's fantastic... Want
to do something? Get the plugin for it.
Reminds me of the iPhone add: "there's an app for that"

I love that XBMC doesn't require much configuration for the type of video
playback, it will select things automatically. On the other hand, you can't
by default enjoy some advanced option (like it uses the temporal 2x vdpau
deinterlacers only, not the advanced one)...

The question we should ask now, is do we drop support for mythfrontend
completely and work on a much better integration of XBMC with the myth
backend (add support for mythbackend auto detection, support storage group
etc). Or do we continue to focus our effort on making the myth frontend
better