[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Mon May 5 19:50:04 UTC 2014

> When I was running XBMC Gotham Beta 1, I was able to get commercial skip
> to work with the later PVR-CMyth plugin (or whatever it is called).  I
> didn't want to like XBMC, but it's really a great piece of software.  Lots
> of plugins, DLNA, prettiness.  Now that it can do commercial skipping, it
> can do nearly everything that MythFrontEnd can do, and some things it
> can't*.
>
> *I'm sure there's something I'm missing here.  I know that there are many
> people that are contributing patches/new features to MythFE.  Specifically,
> in HD audio and framerate support.  I only have my current perception to go
> from.  I can see that BluRay ISOs/rips will change the framerate on my TV
> to 24 (23.9-yadda) and my receiver sees the HD audio bit streams correctly,
> just as in MythFE.  However, I think that PiP is not currently working on
> XBMC 12.3.  PiP is a great feature, and MythFE does that well.
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM, David Edwards <david at more.fool.me.uk>
>> wrote:
>> > For reasons I will probably post about separately at some point in the
>> near
>> > future, I am currently evaluating XBMC as an alternative front end.
>> I've not
>> > got the PVR client up and running yet, though.
>> >
>> > Are you talking about a MythTV-style theme for XBMC, or an XBMC-style
>> theme
>> > for MythTV. And what would you be packaging, given that XBMC have an
>> Ubuntu
>> > PPA already?
>> >
>> > David
>> >

>> I'm talking about porting the Mythbuntu theme to XBMC. Now that XBMC
>> 13 is out, and commercial skipping should work (I think), XBMC might
>> fit most of my needs for a frontend (granted I do all of my scheduling
>> from mythweb right now).
>>
>> For packaging, I'm talking about the MythTV PVR plugin. Now that XBMC
>> 13 is released it works with MythTV 0.27 again, but it only supported
>> 0.26 until just recently. I'd be looking at the possibility of
>> building and packaging that plugin so it works with the current
>> version of XBMC (eg. when the plugin gets support for 0.28, we'd have
>> a XBMC 13 plugin that would work with 0.28). Note though that may not
>> be possible. I haven't looked at how that all works yet, so it's
>> possible that the plugins can't be built for other versions of XBMC.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas Mashos

I've been using XBMC because I liked the way it also connected to Plex.
However xbmc will not become a replacement for mythfrontend for me mainly
because of 2 things:
1. When watching live tv on mythfrontend I can press the record button, and
the current show / film / whatever will be recorded untill it ends. In XBMC
I get 2 hours of recording. Not exactly the way I want it.
2. In Sweden we have a couple of channels that are sending captions in DVB
- format. These are recognized by mythfrontend perfectly, however I can't
get them to display in XBMC. I have tried to get help regarding this on the
forums, but it looks like nobody knows anything about this.

Regards,

Andréas