[mythtv-users] Dvd and blueray ripping

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 5 18:19:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 06:36:07PM +0200, Andréas Kühne wrote:

> > On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 08:55:24AM +0100, Wayne Roberts wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > What is the status of dvd and blueray ripping? Can it be automated in the
> > > backend or is this smothing that is best being done on a regular ubuntu
> > > machine then inserting it into the library?
> >
> >    In terms of what you are asking, DVDs are probably at least feasible.
> > BluRays aren't.
> >
> >    I would definitely go with a 3rd party solution and just inserting the
> > results into your library.

[deletia]

> You could do a rip of a DVD or bluray using a combination of MakeMkv and
> handbrake. It works, but you have to do alot of work.

     DVDs are really trivial.

     BluRays are more interesting because it's newer and less trivial encryption
and a format that's meant to be updated to keep ahead of pirates. The end result
is that the people working on this stuff expect to get paid.

     With a DVD, you generally don't need anything more than mplayer.

     If you don't like the idea of manually futzing with Handbrake, you can just
drop the options of your choice into a script. The Handbrake GUI might even help
you with that.