[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 14.04 and unwanted pop-ups

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon May 5 15:28:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 15:15 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> Have you tested with all possible plug-ins?

Probably not since I don't find all of the plugins useful for me.

> The first report I recall
> were issues when using mythbrowser (which does not surprise me),

I'm pretty sure I have used mythbrowser, at least in the past.  I cannot
say I use it any more or if it was ever frequently since I find browsing
the web on a television frustrating at best.

> I think the general consensus was that while it is possible to run
> without a window manager, and one is absolutely free to do so,
> recommending such configurations to others without knowing
> their special needs/use cases means that they may have a
> bad experience,

Indeed.  Which is why I make sure to ask what their configuration is.
STB-like, etc.

> and since running without a window manager
> is not a supported configuration, it is not tested, nor will one
> be able to get much support on list (and can result in wasting
> the time of various individuals who do try to assist on list).

And indeed. I typically do inform of that.

> What I hear you saying is that you are willing to provide the
> configurations and support for users with no window managers
> even though it is not officially supported by the project team.

What I am willing to do is provide a use-case for not needing a window
manager.

Cheers,
b.