[mythtv-users] Video breaking up after installing new video card

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat May 3 01:15:39 UTC 2014

> Thanks Daryl, I'm not sure I understood what you said. So I'll describe my
> set up (hope this little ASCII diagram works OK!):
>
> Antenna --
>   | --> TV1 (picture quality good)
>   | --> TV2 (picture quality good)
>   | --> Cheap $5 splitter
>               | --> HD Homerun (2 tuners) --> 1Gb switch --> Mythbackend
>               | --> PCI Card --> Mythbackend
>
> Does that make sense? If you still think it's a signal strength issue is
> there any way I can verify that? And if I need to get a booster, are there
> different types which are better than others? E.g. do some install at the
> antenna vs others install at the wall outlet?

More info on this... This morning I put 2 programs to record at the same
time. All different broadcasters so I knew that all 3 tuners would be used
- 2 on the HD Homerun and 1 PCI card. I watched some of the recordings and
found two were OK, and one broke up in places. The one that broke up was
also highlighted yellow in Watch Recordings which I believe indicates a
poor quality recording.

I assumed that the bad recording would be the PCI card, and the two from
the Homerun would be OK. After running some queries to track down which
tuner recorded which program, I found the following:

Homerun tuner 0 = BAD recording
Homerun tuner 1 = good recording
PCI tuner 0 = good recording

This surprised me. Surely if one of the Homerun tuners was OK, they would
both be OK? Unless it's to do with signal strengths varying by channel,
which I presume could mean:
- either the poorer channels aren't tuned to the right frequency, or ...
- they're more susceptible to a overall weakened signal strength?