[mythtv-users] Myth frontend on SteamOS with Suse 13.1 backend

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Fri May 2 21:18:22 UTC 2014

> However, my son now has SteamOS installed on his machine for gaming and
> I would like to run Myth frontend on that OS instead of using a second
> machine or dual-boot into OpenSuse to get MythTV.

Just to give you an alternative, I use Mythbuntu and have Steam
integrated into Myth's menu.  I just installed the Steam deb file and
then added a menu item in mainmenu.xml to launch it*.  If he is usually
gaming then the extra step of getting to Steam from Myth might be a
pain, but it might be easier to manage/support Myth on Mythbuntu than
SteamOS.  Steam itself should be about the same between each.  Also, I
don't know if you can launch anything from within Steam, so to start
Mythfrontend on SteamOS might require you to exit and start Myth from
the desktop.  In my setup I can solely rely on my remote and xbox 360
controller.

* I'd be remiss not to mention this caveat - some games refuse to start
when I launch Steam from Mythfrontend.  They start launching but just
get stuck at a black screen and I have to kill the game process (Steam
is fine).  They work fine when Steam is started from the desktop, even
if Mythfrontend is running.  I haven't yet figured out the issue, but
I'm pretty sure some of the games that are afflicted used to work fine.
  I had to kill something once for different reasons and I think
something might have gotten borked, but I can't say for sure.