[mythtv-users] Tweaking the Transcode Wrapper Stub

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri May 2 01:56:11 UTC 2014

I am developing a script using Raymond Wagner's Transcode wrapper stub
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_wrapper_stub) to call avconv to
transcode to x264.

My script works great, but now I want to expand upon it.

The first thing I want to do is parse the output of the avconv command
and extract the progress and speed (fps).

At first I thought it would be simple, but upon closer inspection I
see that it uses the Mythtv Python binding's "System" class to run
avconv... and I can't find any documentation of how I can poll the
output of my command.

Can anyone provide some guidance, or better yet a code snippet, that
demonstrates how I can execute a command, and poll it's output while
it runs?

Thanks!