[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime addition

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 23:17:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Matthew Daubenspeck
<matt at oddprocess.org> wrote:
> My cable company finally contacted me to graciously let me know that all
> my great QAM channels will be going away in April. I have Mythtv .27
> that has been running with the same database for over 10 years.
>
> I've purchased a new HDHR Prime and got a CableCARD from my cable
> company. If I hook it up now and run the scan, will it find the QAM
> channels as well as the channels the card allows me to access?
>
> I would like to remove my current tuners (2 original HDHRs and a
> PVR-500) to get the new HDHR Prime working, but I'm worried that there
> may be channel mixups between QAM and authorized channels with
> recordings.

*My* recommendation would be to:

* Find a time you can dedicate to the cutover, where no
  "critical" recordings are to be made (it can be done in
  less than 10 minutes, if you have done everything before,
  and it could take multiple hours if you get unlucky)
* Stop the BE
* Make a backup of the DB.
* Make another backup of the DB
* Make sure you know where the backups are.
* Make sure the size of the backups seems "reasonable"
  (zero length files should be a hint it did not work well).
* Run mythtv-setup, and "delete all capture cards"
  (and not "delete all capture cards on <this host>")
* Run mythtv-setup, and "delete all video sources"
* Follow the directions in the Wiki regarding the
  Prime.  Add the device, add in a (schedules direct)
  video source, make the input connections, and
  be sure to "fetch listings data" (there is no scan
  for an OCUR tuner).
* Run mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all
* Start the BE
* Test a (simple) recording.
* Enjoy a cold tall one.

Recovery, if needed, would be to restore the
DB and restart the BE.