[mythtv-users] FE sound stopped working

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Thu Mar 27 03:42:47 UTC 2014

On 3/26/2014 7:21 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 27 March 2014 11:00, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net> wrote:
>> I temporarily switched one FE from my production MBE to a test setup where
>> I'm going to attempt to upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27 in the next day or so.
>> After I switched it back to the production MBE all was fine for about 15
>> minutes and then sound output ceased. The first thing I did was go to Setup,
>> verified that nothing had changed and ran the speaker test which was good.
>> I'm writing this from a Windows machine where I can't conveniently grab the
>> frontend log but at the same time as the sound disappeared a set of 4 error
>> messages started appearing in the log:
>>
>>      ALSA: setting hardware buffer size to 128
>>      ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc: Permission
>> denied
>>      ALSA: Tryto manually increase audio buffer size...
>>      ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
>> underruns are likely
>>
>> Those four error messages repeat regularly as long as I'm trying to play
>> something. I've searched various threads dealing with ALSA, buffer size and
>> related issues and have not found anything that resembles my situation.
>>
>> Any thoughts on where I might look?
> You can ignore those.
>
> They aren't error as such, just a hint that you may have buffer underruns.
>
> You haven't reported the problems you are having.
>
> What exactly is happening?
>
> you have no audio, no video what?

***
Sorry, my description was a bit hidden.

About 15 minutes into watching a live program the sound suddenly ceased.
I went from completely normal sound to no sound at all. I changed
channels and also tried playing a recording - all silent.

I mentioned switching between backends just in case that activity could
have unforeseen side effects.

mike