[mythtv-users] FE sound stopped working

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Thu Mar 27 00:53:30 UTC 2014

On 3/26/2014 5:32 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2014, at 10:30 am, "Mike Carron" <jmcarron at starstream.net
> <mailto:jmcarron at starstream.net>> wrote:
>
>> I temporarily switched one FE from my production MBE to a test setup
>> where I'm going to attempt to upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27 in the next
>> day or so. After I switched it back to the production MBE all was
>> fine for about 15 minutes and then sound output ceased. The first
>> thing I did was go to Setup, verified that nothing had changed and
>> ran the speaker test which was good. I'm writing this from a Windows
>> machine where I can't conveniently grab the frontend log but at the
>> same time as the sound disappeared a set of 4 error messages started
>> appearing in the log:
>>
>>     ALSA: setting hardware buffer size to 128
>>     ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc:
>> Permission denied
>>     ALSA: Tryto manually increase audio buffer size...
>>     ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
>> underruns are likely
>>
>> Those four error messages repeat regularly as long as I'm trying to
>> play something. I've searched various threads dealing with ALSA,
>> buffer size and related issues and have not found anything that
>> resembles my situation.
>>
>> Any thoughts on where I might look?
>>
>> --
>> mike
>
> Maybe just a random hiccup? Try a reboot and see if / when it
> reoccurs? Given that your machine is normally reliable and stable. In
> particular see if the sound returns on reboot then disappears again
> after a period of time.
>
> I will probably get shot down for suggesting a reboot but I get some
> random problem about once a month that resolves with a reboot and
> doesn't return....
>
> Maybe it just means I'm too lazy / time poor / ignorant too chase down
> the problem, but in my defense it's hard to find problems that only
> occur once then go away.

***
I tried a reboot and that didn't work. I have it shut down for now while
I actually do the 0.25 to 0.27 upgrade on the test BE and another FE. If
it is still without sound next time I power it up, I'll upgrade it and
try to connect to the test BE. I guess if all else fails I can always
grab the USB stick with Mythbuntu 12.04 on it...

mike