[mythtv-users] FE sound stopped working

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Thu Mar 27 00:00:38 UTC 2014

I temporarily switched one FE from my production MBE to a test setup
where I'm going to attempt to upgrade from 0.25 to 0.27 in the next day
or so. After I switched it back to the production MBE all was fine for
about 15 minutes and then sound output ceased. The first thing I did was
go to Setup, verified that nothing had changed and ran the speaker test
which was good. I'm writing this from a Windows machine where I can't
conveniently grab the frontend log but at the same time as the sound
disappeared a set of 4 error messages started appearing in the log:

     ALSA: setting hardware buffer size to 128
     ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc:
Permission denied
     ALSA: Tryto manually increase audio buffer size...
     ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
underruns are likely

Those four error messages repeat regularly as long as I'm trying to play
something. I've searched various threads dealing with ALSA, buffer size
and related issues and have not found anything that resembles my situation.

Any thoughts on where I might look?

--
mike