[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Philip Isaacs showcasefloyd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:11:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) <
> cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 03/25/2014 02:50 PM, Philip Isaacs wrote:
>>

>>  @Gabe - Do you know where I can find an example (or a tutorial) of how
>> to write a channel changing script that will call my IR Blaster from within
>> MythTV? I understand how it works now, but I'm not sure where to go from
>> there.
>>
>>  Like you, I have Comcast, and like you, I found that nothing I did would
>> make channel changing work through firewire. I recommend using an IguanaIR
>> IR blaster, you can get it from their website (iguanaworks.net) for $40.
>> My script is here
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk/install/opt/mythtv/bin/channelchange.sh
>> Other necessary scripts are also there. The IR channel changing is 100%
>> reliable with these scripts, and you just point mythtv to the external
>> channel change script /opt/mythtv/bin/channelchange.sh. The script takes
>> care of a number of glitches that can happen, like the Iguana service
>> failing, lirc failing, the set top box being turned off etc. One thing that
>> DOES work with the Comcast set top box is detecting through firewire that
>> it is turned on.
>>
>> To use those scripts a number of things need to be set up - iguana
>> service, lirc, etc.
>>
>> Since tuning the set top box with an IR blaster takes a few seconds, I
>> set in mythtv the option to start recordings 15 seconds early.
>>
>> A small tip - you can use the set top box built in "VCR timer" to set it
>> to turn on at the correct times for the programs. You can see the upcoming
>> program list on mythtv and set the set top box to tune the correct channels
>> at those times. However this method is really only for emergencies since it
>> is very tedious and you can easily make mistakes.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> @Peter. This is really awesome thanks so much.
>
> I've already started messing around with setting up a IR Blaster using my
> MCE USB Kit (that came with the WINTV HVR 1600)  and I have no plans to buy
> anything new at this time. That being said will your scripts work with the
> "mceusb" remote? I downloaded the "LircChannelChanger" one last night "
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LircChannelChanger" and started trying to get
> it to work from the command line, but the STB didn't seem to respond. My
> STB is the RNG150N.
>
> It's such a shame that whoever was working on the stb-command gave up on
> it. The script actually sort of worked with my RNG 150N via Firewire, but
> it could only change the channel_up or channel_down (nothing else seem to
> work) which means the script was sort of working, but then development
> stopped on it in 2010.
>
> PS Your tip about using the VCR time is a really great idea. I might try
> it just for fun and see what happens.
>
> Floyd

@Peter. One more quick question. I was just looking at the IguanaIR (
http://iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/) and I have a question.
How does the set up with something like this work. Do I plug the IguanaIR
into my Myth PC or in the STB. Also if it goes into my Myth PC don't I
still need some sort of IR Emmitter do get it to communicate with the STB?

Thanks in advance