[mythtv-users] Intermittent grey preview, recording won't play

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 26 10:42:50 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 05:13 PM, fordy ydrof wrote:
> fwiw, i too have recently been getting some recordings that the
> preview shows as grey.  I haven't tried mplayer (next time i'll give
> that a shot)..

Generally gray previews just mean that you have a bad seek table for
your recording (so, rather than getting a picture of the key
frame--that's a full picture--you get a picture of the "intra frame"
that's only the differences since the last frame).

You can get a bad seek table due to a corrupt recording or due to
something unexpected/unsupported/not-well-handled in the stream.

Mike