[mythtv-users] Using mysql for other things?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 08:03:38 UTC 2014

Jon N <jdnandroid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  I'm sure there are plenty of ways to mess things up
> inadvertently, just wanted to make sure that having a 2nd database in
> itself wouldn't do it.

No, it's quite normal to have many separate databases - and assuming you don't mess up the permissions then one user cannot mess up any other.

I'd suggest you install PHPMyAdmin which makes it much easier to create new users and databases. Best way to create a new user & "playground" database is to go to the Privileges tab and create a new user - there's an option to create a database with the same name on that page. When creating a user, avoid the temptation to tick any of the boxes in the "grant global privileges" section - a while ago I found some of my customer users had global privileges after a colleague had been fiddling !

And good on you wanting to learn SQL - it's a very useful skill to have.