[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Mar 25 19:30:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 16:27 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> > ... On Firewire, you are only
> > going to be able to get the local broadcast network channels
>
> This is completely dependent on your MSO.

True, sorry, I should have made that clear. But pretty much all of the
content providers in the US are moving toward encrypting everything or
nearly everything. Whatever is there now on your provider probably won't
be there too much longer. Comcast where I live (Louisville, CO, near
Denver and Boulder), even the local channels are now encrypted and you
can't get anything at all over clear QAM (and presumably also Firewire;
the latter does still work for changing channels, I use that with an
HD-PVR 1212).

So I would still stand by my advice to test with a local broadcast
channel first. In the OP's case, he said he had already gotten *some*
content off of Firewire, so at least his provider isn't as restrictive
as mine. I guess "set your starting channel to one that you have
successfully gotten content from in test-mpeg2" would be the best way to
put it.

The main point being, setting an invalid starting channel can cause
LiveTV not to work.

--Greg