[mythtv-users] Is there a good way to balance tuner use?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Mar 20 16:31:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:05:23 -0400, you wrote:

>On 03/20/2014 11:07 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> You could just rebalance the drives occasionally by moving recording
>> files between them.  I have a script that does that for me when I add
>> a new empty drive:
>>
>>    http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/balance_storage.sh
>>
>> I have never tested it on a master/slave setup, but it should work
>> fine, if a little slower when moving files over the ethernet
>> connection.
>
>You can move a file wherever you like--to any directory in any Storage
>Group defined on any host--but if you move it from one host's storage to
>another's, it will only be found if the original recording host can
>still see the file.  Therefore, you'd need to have network file systems.
>
>At this point we only ever ask the recording host (the one that
>originally recorded the show) for the video, so if it's only visible
>from another host, we won't find it.  Eventually, we'll fix it to check
>all hosts.  Until then, I'd recommend either keeping recordings on the
>original recording host or writing a script (using the Python bindings,
>ideally) to update the hostname for the recording.  You could even
>rewrite http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_archive_job.pl with the Python
>bindings (significantly simplifying the code, making it easy to add in
>support for moving from one host to another).
>
>Mike

It should be possible to add some code to the current script to handle
changing the hostnames if necessary.  But as I do not have a slave
backend to test with, getting it to work correctly might be a bit
difficult.  It would help if someone with a slave backend could post a
listing of their storagegroup table.