[mythtv-users] rebalance deleted recordings

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Mar 20 13:22:22 UTC 2014

Every now and then the amount of space that deleted recordings consume
on my various storage drives gets way out of balance.  You might ask
"who cares?".  But it is an important metric.

The reason it's so important is that when your drives are full (which
they should always be since deleted recording expiration happens on
demand -- as space is required for new recordings) and mythtv wants to
record something it expires recordings from the drive it wants to record
to.  However, if there are no deleted recordings on the drive it wants
to record to it will start expiring non-deleted recordings.  And it will
even do this if there are deleted recordings on other drives but it
needs to use all of the drives to balance recording I/O load.

So the solution here is to rebalance the storage drives, moving
recordings from a disk that has no deleted recordings on it to a disk
that has lots of deleted recordings on it.

I wonder if anyone has written this script yet, before I set off and
write it.

Cheers,
b.