[mythtv-users] frontend crashes after upgrade to nvidia 334.21

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 05:05:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but then I'm surprised gentoo marked the update stable. I'll
> probably post there too.

I believe on most of the "free" Linux distro ecosystem, "stable" means
it compiled (and in the case of nVidia binary blob drivers, all one
can say is that nVidia claims it works for them)(*).  Only enterprise
Linux distros do serious regression testing with various test suites
and extensive unit testing of the results of any upstream fixes/patches
(but since they do not redistribute nVidia binary blobs, such
regression testing is moot for this case).  Collecting and maintaining
a (usually private) collection of test cases is hard work, and far too
many upstreams are not interested in doing their own test harnesses.

The nVidia devzone reference itself has a reference to the existing
gentoo bug report.  Since "me too"s provide no useful information,
you might just want to add yourself as an interested party on the
CC list in the gentoo bugzilla.

Gary

(*) For some reason I am reminded of the quote "Test it in combat."
from the STTOS episode "Elaan of Troyius"