[mythtv-users] Two files after transcoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 18 17:18:33 UTC 2014

On 03/18/2014 12:59 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> My system turns off and on as needed. I ran the orphans.py and it only
> found one third of the .old files I could see in the recordings file.
> I executed the four suggestions, including rescan, and it showed no
> further orphans. It was not until the next day, at least six-teen
> hours later that I rounded up and deleted 36 remaining .old files. So
> with what I'm reading recently, I'm confused. If .old files are not in
> the database and orphans.py finds files not in the database, why did
> it only find one third of the 262 GB's of them?

find_orphans.py will check for orphaned/non-managed files in any
directory in any non-special*** storage group that's accessible by the
currently-running backends.  I'd guess that either your directories
aren't in your storage groups or one or more backends wasn't running or
was lacking permissions or similar?

Mike

*** It will actually find orphaned files in directories in the Live TV
storage group (for those who specify it--though usually doing so is
actually a waste at best and is a bad idea at worst), and will find even
database backups, possibly even those in directories in the DB Backups
storage group.  It definitely excludes the Videos, Banners, Coverart,
Fanart, Screenshots, and Trailers storage groups--it doesn't search any
of them for orphans.