[mythtv-users] Bluray DTS passthrough doesn't work

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Mar 18 00:57:13 UTC 2014

In my asound.conf, I have the default set to the active HDMI device. In
mythtv, selecting default, or the specific hdmi device in the pop-up, both
result in showing an HDMI connection to my receiver and the same set of
passthrough capabilities. Particularly considering the DVD AC3 passthrough
works fine, it doesn't seem as if it would be as simple as the wrong
selected device, but I will try explicitly selecting the HDMI device rather
than relying on the default pointing to it and see what happens.

> > If I play the same Bluray rip with mplayer (mplayer -ao
> > alsa:device=hw=1.9 -afm hwac3), it works fine, and the receiver shows
> > DTS, so the hardware is definitely capable.
>
> you use the hwac3 codec and you're getting high-Def audio ? I
> seriously doubt it.
>
> You would have had to use hwdts
>
> AC3 and DTS-HD do not use the same digital signal...

No, I'm not specifically selecting the codec, I'm selecting the family:

$ mplayer -afm help
[...]
    hwac3  AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF

'-afm hwac3' tells it to do either AC3 or DTS pass-through depending on what
it finds.

My receiver tells me it's DTS so I'm pretty sure that part is working. I'm
just not sure why the myth part is working for AC3 but not DTS at this
point.

Thanks.