[mythtv-users] Two files after transcoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 17 10:33:27 UTC 2014

On 03/16/2014 10:59 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> So if I understand right, find_orphans.py list all files it finds in
> any storage directory, that are nowhere mentioned in the database.
> So deleting all .old files by hand should not give any problem, as I
> thought.
> And if you are not satisfied by a transcoding, you should delete the
> new file and remove .old from the old file?

I think you mean delete the file from the file system (not using MythTV
to delete the recording) and rename the old file to be the same as the
new file.  If so, yes.

> I see only one problem there, namely that the filesize in the database
> will be incorrect and possibly also the extention (mpg ->  nuv).

Actually, a lot more than just the file size will be incorrect in the
database.  The file extension is irrelevant, so you would just use
whatever the new file uses--even if the original is a MPEG and the new
file is a NUV.

>   So
> what is the procedure te restore back the pre-transcode '.old file?'.
> That possibility is after all the reason to keep '.old'.

As described above followed by mythcommflag --rebuild.

Mike