[mythtv-users] Looking for a cheap and easy to set-up IR receiver

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:27:27 UTC 2014

On 3/14/14, 8:55 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 3/13/14, 7:31 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> Can someone recommend a cheap and easy to set up USB receiver?  My
>> motherboard does not have a serial port but I am open to other methods
>> of connecting an IR receiver (although I don't even know if such
>> methods exist).
> I've been using a USB-UIRT for many years now: http://www.usbuirt.com

$60 should get you at least 3 remotes and 3 receivers.   I don't
consider the above to be cheap.

I don't use one myself (I built a serial IR receiver from parts), but
people claim to use MCE remotes, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY

Or just use the receiver for it if you have a remote.

-WD