[mythtv-users] Latest thoughts on small silent frontends

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 17:08:42 UTC 2014

On 3/11/14, 12:56 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>> For me, the best silent frontend is a big, ugly (but inexpensive) frontend
>> system with fans
> Dunno if my house is just dusty or what, but I sure get sick of
> blowing out the heatsinks and fans every few months. Fanless isn't
> just about noise, it's also about being lazy. ;)

Depends on your region and house.
Wall to wall carpeting tends to help accumulate dust, in my experience.
Meanwhile, when I was in the Middle East, we had to clean out servers
monthly and there was no carpeting in our datacenter.  Just desert dust
blown in, despite the environmental control systems.

But, I've had heatsinks get lousy with dust, both house dust and desert
dust. I still had to clean them out periodically.