[mythtv-users] Minimize frontend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 30 13:35:37 UTC 2014

On 06/30/2014 08:00 AM, airdrummer wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Use window border
>> Toggles between windowed and borderless operation.
>
> too bad the window doesn't behave as a normal window, with a fullscreen toggle
> in the header, and resizing the image with the window size...is there some
> technical reason it doesn't/can't?

Mainly because we don't have the code to rescale all the images of the
themes on the fly.  There's some limited resizing capability, but no one
has cared enough to write all the code and test the huge number of
changes required so that someone can resize it on the fly--a process
which would take millions[citation needed] of times longer than each
time a person goes into settings and changes the size.  (OK, no clue how
many times longer, but I know it's a lot.)

Oh, and all that code would have to "properly" deal with people's doing
"bad" things--like scaling the window to a 17:11 aspect when it's using
a 16:9 theme or even scaling to an 11:17 ratio--whatever "properly"
might be (and I'm sure there would be huge arguments about that).  It
would also have to deal with sizing issues where text/elements/...
become too small or too compressed (in either or both directions) to
properly display, as well as mismatches caused by the coarse scalability
of fonts (i.e. text gets cut off until you increase the window size a
little to make more room or even decrease it a little, making it just
small enough to trigger the scaling of the font down "one more step").

And since 99%[citation needed] of the time involved in resizing is not
the process of going into settings and resizing, but is waiting for
MythTV to rescale every image it needs for the them (something we have
to do to make MythTV function reasonably well on those 20-yr-old
computers or "high efficiency" toys people like to run them on), we'd
either have to change MythTV requirements to force usage of video output
with some minimum level of (likely) OpenGL performance or each time you
dragged the window border, you'd wait 15-30s for a full rescaling
process to complete.

Mike