[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Jun 30 03:58:26 UTC 2014

On 6/28/2014 10:26 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 29/06/2014 10:33 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 6/28/2014 7:21 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>> Look for a VDPAU Capable Nvidia Card that can do TV-Out
>>
>> Those are getting hard to find, and expensive when you do find one.
>
> A quick search on ebay found many candidates.  Like this one. <http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce-GF-8400GS-512MB-PCI-EX-DDR2-TV-OUT-DVI-64bit-Graphics-Video-Card-/121356162363?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1c4164153b&_uhb=1>
> Having not used S-Video as a PC Monitor for over a decade (and then it was very poor quality), I dont know of the quality of output.  At least going down this route, if S-Video doesnt work, the OP has a decent video card to connect to a Display that has suitable inputs.

I took a look at that card and I don't think it will meet Piers' needs. It doesn't have the S-Video/HDTV circular connector, only VGA, HDMI and DVI.

FWIW, I have 8400 GS and 9500 GT video cards with the HDTV connector (which supports S-Video, component and composite) and they are working well with mythbuntu 12.04 and mythtv 0.27.1. The 9500 GT is currently connected to an old SDTV's S-Video input and is "good enough" at 800x600 resolution, especially compared to the cost of a new TV. But if both cards die, I will replace the TV because I haven't seen a video card that provides S-Video output at a reasonable price point in the past couple of years. The only problem I've had with recent NVidia drivers is the lack of overscan adjustment. I've worked around it by tweaking mythfrontend's window geometry to compensate.

HTH,
Helen