[mythtv-users] low-power FE: AMD now better than Nvidia?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 12:37:59 UTC 2014

On 23 May 2014 17:28, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. That's my experience with VDPAU on AMD. It was extremely good.
>
> There are issues with multi-screen setup however, sometimes my 2nd
> screen is dropped, sometimes it's the main screen that is dropped and
> the 2nd one becomes primary etc..

A bit of an update on this as I've done some work on hardware playback
lately (mostly vaapi)

There are two bugs in mesa's vdpau drivers (that apply to both nouveau
and AMD OSS) that prevents PiP to properly show up.

A work around was added in 0.28-pre/master that allows PiP to work,
however there's another bug in mesa's vdpau code that prevents more
than one PiP to show at anyone time.

The bugs related to VDPAU specs not being properly adhered to, and
mesa's implementation not handling some arguments