[mythtv-users] Can mythtv transcode on the fly (as a media server)?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Jun 29 09:09:41 UTC 2014

On 29.06.2014 11:00, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> I am testing a raspi which does not include support for hardware mpeg.
> The CPU is too
> weak for software decoding. I want to transcode to something it can play
> (yet to be
> discovered).

Ok, now it makes sense, I guess you are using XBMC as frontend software.
Try
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#Enabling_additional_video_codecs

Or transcode to H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC with one of the available
transcode/export scripts
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Transcode_Scripts

Transparent on demand transcoding between MythTV backend and MythTV/XBMC
frontend is not available yet. (And is unlikely to appear in the short
term as it is way easier to just enable hardware decoding support)

Regards,
Karl