[mythtv-users] failing hard drive - advice on recovering specific recordings - mythlink perhaps

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 17:30:00 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> life hacker says it works.

Throwing the drive down the hall works sometimes
too.  Yes, I do have "proof" of that; The drive was dead,
the owner threw it down the hall (I am presuming in
frustration, based on the language being used).  I
picked it up and was able to get it to spin up and
read the data.  Specifics matter.  The failure mode
matters.  Most recent drives do not have the failure
modes of older drives.  They have their own spin
(or lack there of :-).  In any case, I do not give
advice on hard drive repair based on anecdotal
results, because I have too hundreds/thousands
of failing/failed drives of experience, and know that
specifics matter (although I have been tempted to
use the throw the drive down the hall method).  If
I really care about the data (and find all my backups
are all unreadable), I would consider a data recovery
service.  If you do not care about the data, any
method works (successful or not).  For "Just TV",
I (personally) do not care that much to spend
very much of my time doing data recovery.  The
OPs request is reasonable, prioritize the shows
of most interest, copy them first.  If you get the
others, you win.  If not, well, it was "just TV".