[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

mailing at biased.org mailing at biased.org
Sat Jun 28 14:41:12 UTC 2014

> That Dell isn't going to be quiet, it is designed for an office with a
> certain
> amount of ambient noise to cover the fan.

> I'd suggest replacing the TV.  I did that earlier in the year for my
> mother.  SVideo really doesn't work very well any more.

Thanks everyone for advice!

Unfortunately I know my parents will not replace the TV, even if I buy
them a new one - it's in good working order and they don't care about
quality like we do.  I can't stand their TV, but that's their decision.
They just want a new PVR as they current one is very unreliable.  I'm
doing the separate frontend/backend as we may have multiple frontends,
and I want their frontend to be as quiet as possible.

OK the Dell isn't quiet enough - what would be a better alternative?  I
need to be able to have a video card with S-Video out, either onboard or
added-in.  It also need to be powerful enough for 1080p as I have some
films I'd like them to watch and the CPU need to be powerful enough to
downscale that to PAL.  The power would be useful for future
expandability when they finally upgrade to a better TV.  DVD drive would
be nice, but not necessary.  The total cost shouldn't be much more than
$200.  I'm happy to buy second hand parts and build a computer, or
already bundled.

Many thanks again!

Cheers - Piers