[mythtv-users] aereo

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jun 27 15:44:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:25:24AM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > Ah, it seems that the extra charge ($70-$130) was the way it used to work in
> > VHS days, but the practice didn't survive into DVD days, and it wasn't so
> > much a special-rental-licensed version as an earlier-availability version.
>
> It has survived, but to a much lesser degree.  The bin of $9.99/$4.99
> DVD's in front of a supermarket checkout line rarely has new releases.

    Well. New releases are usually in the $25 range...

    My first copies of the Star Wars trilogy were acquired when VHS tapes still
went for $90. The tape of the month club was a very handy thing in those days
as I certainly didn't have $270 to blow on movies.

> > Mike (who's showing his age by remembering the $80 VHS rental copies)
>
> I remember that as well.  (Are you calling me old?)  And $80 in 1980 =
> $230 in 2014.
>
> It seems insane now, but it was a product of the times.
>
> "I say to you that the VCR is to the American film producer and the
> American public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone."
> Jack Valenti, MPAA President, 1982
>
> Somehow they seem to have survived.

    It makes you wish you could make them eat those words every time they
try to act like hysterical ninnies.