[mythtv-users] OT - Hunting a MoBo.....

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 23:48:49 UTC 2014

On 26 June 2014 00:28, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
> Apologies for the hijack but…
>
> I didn’t consider Asrock, didn’t think much of them but this board looks promising.
>
> Have you used the PCI slots, I’d really like more than 2 but this might be a possibility?

I bought that MB so I could use my DVB-T PCI cards.

My Dvico Digital4 card emitted a nice smoke after I inserted it
thinking the PC was off, when it wasn't.

The other PCI card works just fine.
And since I've added 3 dual tuner PCIe cards.

It's virtually impossible today to find a motherboard that accepts the
latest intel processors (1150 socket), have IPMI *and* PCI slots.

The supermicro equivalent has only one PCIe slots and lots of PCI. Or
it's lots of PCIe and no PCI....

As mentioned, the ACPI works weirdly here, and I've kept ubuntu 12.04
on it with kernel 3.2. With newer kernel, when I do reboot, it turns
off. And when I do halt nothing happens.

works just fine with kernel 3.2.
I lodged a bug at ubuntu about this, they've asked me to try with the
newly released BIOS, but I can't be bothered. It works with kernel 3.2
and this PC will probably die running it.

Otherwise I like that board. It's well laid-out. It has plenty of
ports; and I would never get anything for a server but one with IPMI
and iKVM.

For my data storage server, I use a supermicro X10SL7-F; it has 14
SATA ports, 8 SAS2/SATA3 on a LSI 2308, but only two PCIe slots and no
PCI.