[mythtv-users] PCI-E Capture Card for Australia

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 24 14:41:26 UTC 2014

On 24/06/14 03:00 AM, Michael Watson wrote:

> I run 2x PS3 PlayTV Tuners, which are dual USB Tuners, that work out of
> the box under linux.  I live on the outer fringe of Melbourne, and these
> units work fantastic.  The USB cable allows them to be located wherever
> convenient.

> The only issue with them, is that they dont work after a
> reboot, you must shutdown and power up for the firmware to load properly.

It may be that the modules re-load in the wrong order on a warm reboot.
The work-around for this is to remove ( modprobe -r ) and reload the
modules in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or equivalent) script, which runs
*last* on a reboot.
Modprobe will not unload a module which is used by a 'higher' module.
The command is ignored, so you need to 'ring the changes' to find and
remove each one, from the 'top' in whatever order they happen to end up in.
It needs 7 commands to cover all possible orders for 3 modules.

modprobe -r A    A   A
modprobe -r B    B       B   B
modprobe -r C    C   C   C       C   C
modprobe -r A            A   A   A
modprobe -r B        B           B   B
modprobe -r C                C
modprobe -r A                        A

Then reload in the correct order.

Geoff

PS. I am using an HVR2250 which exhibits this problem. It is race-type
condition where firmware loading takes too long to complete or the
modules do not wait for their dependency to be loaded.
It *is* a great PCI-E based tuner. It just needs some 'understanding'.

No I did not get a T-shirt when I obtained 'understanding',

PPS And I am using a USB HVR950 here at work, using a 6 inch antenna to
receive OTA broadcasts of the World Cup over CBC. It is a great little
unit and does not exhibit any dis-orders.
This is fed to the 'development and testing' mythtv setup on the desktop
box. Purely for research purposes, of course. Watch you don't trip over
the coax cable when you leave the room!

              R. Geoffrey Newbury